What is it?
The placenta is the organ that surrounds the fetus in the womb connecting nourishment and blood supply between mother and baby. It is expelled from the uterus minutes after childbirth and often times thrown away as medical waste. There are many cultures, however, which customarily prepare all or part of the placenta to be consumed by the mother. These include the Chinese, Vietnamese, Hungarians, and Italians. In nature, all other mammals consume the placenta of their offspring.
Seasons of Balance Family Acupuncture uses a Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) method that has been used for centuries. The process steams, dehydrates, and grinds the placenta to be put into capsules for consumption by the mother.
Why do it?
The positive effects of Placenta Encapsulation include:
- Increased release of Oxytocin which encourages better bonding between mother and baby
- Increased milk production (supplies Prolactin, Oxytocin, and hPL hormones)
- Reduced stress and anxiety levels (influences edocrine stress levels with increase in CRH, balance in Estrogen, Progesterone, and Testosterone)
- Increases energy (boosts iron and regulates Thyroid)
- Stabilizes Post-Partum mood
- Improves Immune system
- Relieves pain related to childbirth method and contraction of uterus
The word on the street